Position Title: Interim Finance and Administration Manager (replacement of employee leave)
Location: Within reach of Val-David, Quebec, Canada
Starting Date:May 2022 or sooner.
Duration: This contract is for 6 months, with possibility of renewal
Hours: 37.5 hours week
ETC Group is an international civil society organisation that monitors the impact of emerging technologies and corporate strategies on biodiversity, agriculture and human rights. We operate at the global policy level. We work closely with partner civil society organisations (CSOs) and social movements, especially in Africa, Asia and Latin America. We are a small staff team (approximately 15 people) with offices in Val-David (Laurentians) and Montreal, Canada; Mexico City, Mexico; and Davao City, Philippines. We also have other international colleagues working from the UK, India and Argentina. Despite the distance between us, we work closely together, communicating via e-mail, telephone, teleconference and travel.
This is a position to replace our current Finance and Administration Manager who is on sick leave, with a possibility for extension after 6 months.
Working in close cooperation with a small but dynamic international team, the Interim Finance and Administration Manager will ensure the effective functioning of ETC Group’s international offices and oversee the organisation’s financial and administrative operations. This includes oversight of finances and project budgets, governance and donor accountability, reporting and compliance and implementing human resources decisions. The Finance and Administration Manager will supervise administrative and finance staff who work across time zones and directly manage a part-time bookkeeper and administrative assistant based in Quebec. The Finance Administration Manager will report to the interim Management Group.
You will have lead responsibility for the following tasks, supported by the Quebec- based Administrative Assistant (part-time) and Book-keeper (part-time), who you will also manage:
- Financial management includes: overseeing 20 different funded projects and working with project managers to meet their financial requirements; Preparation of quarterly financial reports and the annual audit; Support for the administration and finance teams in the Philippines and Mexico on financial management, documentation and reporting; Oversight of payrolls and banking operations across offices; Preparation of budgets and financial projections, and monitoring project spending, financial statements, books and accounts payable/receivable of offices; and catching up on some financial reports that have been delayed.
- Administration, includes: Overseeing the operation of and collaboration among administrative and finance teams across offices; and ensuring that members of the management team and Executive Committee are apprised of administrative and financial issues. There is also responsibility for Canada-based administration such as with the Canada Revenue Agency, insurance, banking etc.
- Governance Support includes: Maintaining proper functioning and support for the international Board of Directors, including preparation for the annual meeting of the international Board and bi-monthly meetings of the Executive Committee of the Board; Maintain registrations and ensure legal functioning of the organisation in Canada; and oversee the logistics of occasional staff meetings (possible international travel).
- Grant-related responsibilities includes (in close collaboration with the management team and project staff): Review contracts from funders; Prepare disbursement requests; Monitor reporting requirements to ensure compliance; Prepare budgets for grant submissions; Prepare financial reports for funders; and Monitor specific projects expenses and cash flows in the different accounts.
What we are looking for:
The successful candidate would be likely to have:
- A degree (ideally in a field such as Business Administration, Public Administration, Finance, Accounting or another relevant field) or five years equivalent experience.
- Experience implementing finance and accounting policies, procedures and systems, preferably on international projects.
- Skills in Administrative support, including addressing HR issues, internal processes, managing shared files
- The approach of an organised team player with an ability to prioritise, to take initiative and to problem-solve in a rapid-paced, virtual and diverse workplace;
- Capacity to work under pressure in an autonomous manner and to collaborate with others in an international, multi-location, collegial team situation;
- The language of work is English and other language proficiencies are welcome.
- Excellent computer skills including proficiency with standard software (e.g., Microsoft office, Google suite). Working knowledge of SAGE accounting software and familiarity with book-keeping is a strong advantage.
- Excellent inter-personal skills and management capabilities.
- Commitment to upholding ETC Group’s values, vision and direction.
- Possibility to undertake occasional international travel and to work occasional but regular evenings in order to communicate across time zones with international colleagues.
- Experience of working with, or in, an international NGO is an asset and sensitivity to North-South and other power dynamics essential.
Starting salary: Range for this position is $50-55,000 per annum CAD commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Location: A candidate based in Quebec within easy travel of our Val David office in the Laurentians would be preferred. Day to day work can be from home or from our Val David office. It is possible that there can be some flexibility in the exact timing of hours worked.
TO APPLY: Please submit a letter and CV via email to ETC Group at: email@example.com Please write the job title “Finance and Administration Manager” in the subject line of your message.
Deadline for application: 18 April 2022
A degree of remote working may be possible after an induction period.